Cottage Cheese & Apple Pancakes

{ Thursday, April 1, 2010 }


I'm a firm believer in the fact that breakfast doesn't have to be a mornings-only event.  Give me eggs, pancakes, waffles, and I will eat them - anytime.

Before leaving for work one afternoon (yes, afternoon - I work bizarre hours),  I decided that I wanted pancakes for lunch.  But not just run-of-the-mill buttermilk variety.  I wanted a hearty pancake that was still simple to make.

The addition of cottage cheese and grated apple to pancake batter created a whole new species of pancake.  These have a chewier texture, which in my opinion makes for a much more satisfying meal, and a slightly tangy flavor.  Topped with vanilla yogurt, they made for a satisfying light meal, although I also suspect they'd be delicious with maple syrup or powdered sugar.

Grating time aside, these guys are quick to make and equally quick to eat (unless you know how to exercise self-restraint; I don't).  The batter can be kept refrigerated for a couple of days.  I didn't feel like breaking out the skillet twice in a span of two days, so I made all my pancakes in one go, and I can assure you they are just as tasty reheated the next day.

Cottage Cheese & Apple Pancakes (serves 4)
Adapted from The Moosewood Cookbook

4 eggs, separated
1 cup cottage cheese
2 granny smith apples, grated
3/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
butter, for frying
maple syrup or yogurt, for topping

Beat the egg whites until stiff.  In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients except for toppings and butter.  Mix well, then fold in egg whites.

Heat butter in a skillet  When hot, spoon in batter.  Fry on both sides until lightly browned and firm.  Serve immediately with your choice of topping (although they're still quite tasty the next day reheated).

0 comments:

Post a Comment